ESCIF Congress 2021
Wednesday, 25th to Friday 27th August 2021, Nottwil – Switzerland
Topic: Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
The purpose of the present Convention is to promote, protect and ensure the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, and to promote respect for their inherent dignity (CRPD, Article. 1).
During the Congress participants will learn about the CRPD and how organisations, such as ESCIF and its member organisations, can participate in governmental processes related to the CRPD. Furthermore, practical examples of the impact of the CRPD from rehabilitation and public transport will be presented.
The congress is open to anyone who has an interest in spinal cord injury and disability rights – be it a personal or professional one.
The fifteenth ESCIF Congress is organised by the Swiss Paraplegic Association and supported by the Swiss Paraplegic Foundation.
Preliminary program ESCIF congress 2021 in Nottwil, Switzerland
|Wednesday 25th August 2021||Speakers/Remarks|
|14:00||Arrival of delegates at the Zürich airport, at the latest||Transfers from Zürich Airport at 11am and 2:30pm|
|16:00||Welcome reception in the foyer of the Guido A. Zäch Institute|
|17:00||Opening of Congress
o President of ESCIF
o Director of the Swiss Paraplegics Association (SPA)
Stefan Jorlev: Moderator of the congress
|17:30||Introduction to the congress||President of ESCIF: Stefan Jorlev|
|17:45||Keynote: Title: The Implementation of the CRPD in European Countries
Prof. Dr. Markus Schefer, Switzerland, The University of Basel, Faculty of Law
|18:45||End of travelling and working day|
|19:30||Get-together dinner||Restaurant Vivace, Hotel Sempachersee|
|Thursday 26th August 2021||Speakers/Remarks|
|9:00||Title: Are social relationships an underestimated resource for mental health in persons with spinal cord injury? Evidence from 22 countries
Dr. Christine Fekete, Medical Sociologist and Group Leader at Swiss Paraplegic Research, Nottwil, CH
|9:45||Title: Alternative report and participation of DPOS in the proceedings before the committee on the rights of persons with disabilities
Borut Sever, president of the National Council of Disabled Persons’ Organizations Slovenia (NSIOS)
|10:30||Coffee break with exhibition and poster session|
|11:00||Title: Switzerland’s health system response to rehabilitation needs and rights of people with spinal cord injury
Dimitrios Skempes, MPH, PhD, Disability Policy and Implementation Research Group, Swiss Paraplegic Research, Nottwil, CH
|11:45||Title: Procurement of double-stack wagons in Switzerland (DOSTO) – A decision for 40 years
Dr. iur Caroline Hess-Klein, Inclusion Handicap, the umbrella organization of disabled person’s organizations in Switzerland and head of its civil rights Department
|12:30||Lunch (Foyer GZI)|
|17:00||Presentation of the ESCIF Help Alliance & Members input|
|18:15||End of the working day|
|19:30||Congress Dinner Restaurant Aurora & Ambassador program|
|Friday 27th August 2021||Speakers/Remarks|
|09:00||Assembly of Delegates||Chairperson:|
|10:15||Coffee break with exhibition and poster session|
|10:45||Presentation and discussion of workshop results|
|12:20||Invitation to the ESCIF Congress 2022||Milan Kašiak|
|12:30||End of the Congress||Stefan Jorlev|
|12:45||Lunch (Foyer GZI)|
|14:00||Transport of delegates to Zürich airport|
|Optional sightseeing & Extension of your stay|
|Saturday 28th August 2021||Speakers/Remarks|
|10:00||Transport of delegates to Zürich airport|
Congress costs for all days:
- €350 for delegates and her/his personal assistant (per person);
- €425 for participants of a member organization and her/his personal assistant (per person);
- €425 for patron members and her/his personal assistant (per person);
- €500 for any other participant and her/his personal assistant (per person).
Congress fee for all days includes:
- Hotel accommodation for two nights, including breakfast.
- Welcome reception and dinner on Wednesday, 25th August.
- Congress Dinner on Thursday, 26th August.
- Two lunches
- Coffee breaks
- Congress material
Congress fee does not include
- Extra nights: The reservation will be made according to your registration. Payment for extra nights will be directly at the hotel.
- Transfers from and to the airport or railway station – read more in the transportation details
- Sightseeing tour on Friday after the Congress
Registration closes Wednesday, 26th May 2021 (For the whole period the early bird fee applies)
For registration, after 26th May 2021, you can contact email@example.com (Price and availability on request)
Hotel reservations (including extra nights) will be done by the organiser according to your congress registration.
- Cancellation until 25th June 2021: 100% of the congress fee is refunded.
- Cancellation until 25th July 2021: 50% of the congress fee is refunded.
- Cancellation until 18th August 2021: 25% of the congress fee is refunded
- Cancellation after 18th August 2021: No refund of the congress fee.
Poster abstracts and member’s input
- Please send abstracts for posters and documents with member’s input until June 30th to firstname.lastname@example.org
Congress language is English.
Confirmation, invoice and payment
After your registration, you receive an invoice for the congress fee by e-mail until May 31st, 2021. The payment is required by June 30th, 2021 at the latest. It is only after you have paid the invoice that you are guaranteed a place at the congress. We will not reserve a room at the hotel for you unless the invoice is paid in time.
Please transfer the payment in Euro, free of charges (all transfer charges to be paid by you) according to the details on the invoice. You will receive a confirmation when we have received your payment.
Shuttle service from/to Zürich Airport
We will be offering a shuttle service for those wheelchair users who need it. The price is Euro 40 (per drive) and will be charged to your congress invoice.
- Shuttle 1 leaves Zürich Airport Wednesday 25th August, 11 am
- Shuttle 2 leaves Zürich Airport Wednesday 25th August, 2.30 pm
We will also send an e-mail with information to you, if you have chosen the shuttle service option on the registration form. If you haven’t done so, but would like to book shuttle transport, please let us know as soon as possible:
After the congress the following shuttles will be available:
- Shuttle 1 leaves Friday 27th August at 2 pm
- Shuttle 2 leaves Saturday 28th August at 11 am
Train service from/to Zürich Airport
If you arrive by train (from the airport for example) the congress hotel is located about 600 metres from the SBB train station Nottwil.
Passengers with reduced mobility can obtain help with getting on and off trains by phoning SBB Call Center Handicap:
- 0800 007 102 – Freephone within Switzerland (between 6 a.m. and 10.30 p.m.)
- If you are calling from abroad, please phone +41 51 225 78 44
- Homepage: https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/passengers-with-reduced-mobility/sbb-call-center-handicap.html
This service is available for fast trains and some regional services. Please notify the SBB call center of your journey at least one hour in advance. Assistance is available free of charge to wheelchair users, passengers with impaired mobility, the blind or visually impaired, and the mentally handicapped.
Coming by car
The address for the hotel check in is as follows:
6207 Nottwil LU
+41 41 939 23 23
Costs for parking are CHF 10 per day.